Just for fun: September 2009 Archives
- Harvard Book store patrons able to buy rare books from Google on demand
- Waking the unread (Lorcan Dempsey)
- U of Alberta study: text/IM/chat speak doesn't hurt kids' language and spelling skills (Ars Technica)
- ReadWriteWeb's List of Kid-Friendly Online Resources
- Rethinking the Long Tail Theory: How to Define 'Hits' and 'Niches' (Knowledge@Wharton)
- Effective Twitter Backgrounds: Examples and Current Practices (Smashing Magazine)
- Google launches Sidewiki -- shared Web page annotation product
- iRex Launches New Wireless eReader (ReadWriteWeb)
- The Straight Dope on OAIster (hangingtogether.org)
- "User generated content" and newspapers. Study from Oxford's Reuters Institute
- University of Texas launches 16-campus (49 island) Second Life initiative (via ReadWriteWeb)
- Graphic map of the eBook market (via Resource Shelf)
Recent items added to WorldCat for the month of August are now available. You can see these lists on your library's WorldCat profile page which can be accessed via the 'Library info' link on the item details page or the library name in the library search results.
August stats include:
- 8,861 libraries added new items to WorldCat in August.
- Of those, 640 did not have an existing recent items list, so WorldCat automatically created a new list.
- 8,221 existing recent items lists were updated.
The 5 most popular items added to WorldCat in August were:
Fool, added by 1,277 WorldCat libraries.
Up Close and Personal, added by 1,136 WorldCat libraries
Summer on Blossom Street, added by 1,068 WorldCat libraries
Take two, added by 834 WorldCat libraries.
Nicki, added by 817 WorldCat libraries.
The August top 20 list in all its glory. Noteworthy changes below include a return of everyone's favorite book on naked families as well as the longest Indonesian title we've seen yet.
New to the List
- #6 Stripping Gypsy: The Life of Gypsy Rose Lee
- #12 The Gulf Stream: Tiny Plankton, Giant Bluefin and the Amazing Story of the Powerful River in the Atlantic
- #13 Si Kabayan Dan Beberapa Dongeng Sunda Lainnya
- #14 A World Without Clothes: Photo Album of Naturist Families and their Journeys
- #16 Beat Crohn's!: Getting to Remission with Enteral Nutrition
- #17 Cuando Quiero Llorar no Lloro: Novela
- #19 Bekal dakwah ceramah singkat untuk kuliah tujuh menit (kultum), kuliah subuh di bulan Ramadhan, halal bi halal, peringatan hari-hari besar Islam dll.
- #20 Encyclopedia of Human Biology
Gone from the Top 20 (with July ranking)
- The Joy of Gay Sex (#8)
- Neil Armstrong is My Uncle & Other Lies Muscle Man McGinty Told Me (#9)
- The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power (#12)
- College Admissions Together: It Takes a Family (#13)
- Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man: What Men Really Think About Love, Relationships, Intimacy, and Commitment (#17)
- Moonwalk (#18)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (#19)
- Discordia: The Eleventh Dimension (#20)
For those that are interested, The Time Traveller's Wife, "now a major motion picture!", missed the top 20 by a mere 43 views.
One final bit: If I was to publish the top 20 list for September right this minute, #3 would be Raising Chickens for Dummies. Chapter 1 is "The Joy of Chickens." I can't make this up. Libraries have everything. Everything, I tell you.