WorldCat features: September 2009 Archives
We've updated our CiteMe and WorldCat Facebook applications for use on organizational Facebook Pages. Of course you can still use these applications on your personal profile. Now your group, school or library page can provide these library services too.
If you attempted to add these applications to your organization's Page in the past, you should check the Page settings to make sure the applications are not listed there. If they are, click the "X" to remove the out-of-date application. Then you can add the updated application back to your organization's Facebook Page. This will make sure you have the updated application.
To get started:
- Search for CiteMe, select it from the search results and go to the CiteMe page.
- Click the button "Add to my Page" that appears under the CiteMe logo on the CiteMe Page.
- Select the Page to which you wish to add the application. Then click "Close" to exit that window.
- Go to the Boxes Tab on your organization's Page. The CiteMe application will appear there.
- If you want to show CiteMe on the Wall of your organization's Page, click the pencil icon and select "Move to Wall tab".
- The CiteMe application will now appear on the Wall of your organization's Page.
- You can also have the CiteMe application on your Tab. Go to the Tab section of your organization's Page and click the plus sign, then choose CiteMe or search for it using the "Search available tabs" box.
Now you will have CiteMe on the Tabs and the Wall of your organization's Facebook Page. This is a great way to put a citation tool right where your students prefer to be.
You can add the applications to your personal profile too:
- Search for the CiteMe application and click the "Go to Application" button.
- Allow the application access to your Facebook profile. (This step is required by Facebook not our application.)
- Scroll to the bottom of the application where you will find "Add to profile" button. Click that.
- Confirm where you would like the application to appear on your personal profile. You can choose "Wall and Info Tab" or "Boxes Tab".
- Click "Keep" from the application as it appears on your profile.
- Use the pencil icon to move this application to your Boxes Tab if you do not want it on your Wall and Info Tab.
- You can also add CiteMe to your personal profile Tabs. Click the + sign on your Tab row and use the "Search available tabs" box to locate CiteMe. Choose that and CiteMe will appear on your Tabs.
Again, you can use these same instructions for adding the WorldCat application.
Let us know how this works for you and whether you get feedback from your students.
For all our friends in Canada, I wanted to let you know that we've fixed the selection labeling on the WorldCat Mobile pilot app. Now Canada is listed as a location along with France, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand, the UK and the US.
One note is that U.S. results will still appear in your results set (as for many border citizens, the closest holding library may actually be in the U.S.)--but Canada should now appear as a location on its own.
If anyone in Canada would like to test this feature and send us feedback, we'd appreciate it!
The export a single item to RefWorks feature is working correctly again.
Again, we apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience.
We are currently experiencing problems with our single item export to RefWorks feature (from an item's detailed record page) - the team is actively working the issue and we hope to have a solution in place shortly.
However, the citations list export to RefWorks feature is still working correctly. If create a WorldCat list and add one or more items to the list, you can then successfully export the items to Refworks.
You can learn more about how to create a WorldCat citations list here.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Recent items added to WorldCat for the month of August are now available. You can see these lists on your library's WorldCat profile page which can be accessed via the 'Library info' link on the item details page or the library name in the library search results.
August stats include:
- 8,861 libraries added new items to WorldCat in August.
- Of those, 640 did not have an existing recent items list, so WorldCat automatically created a new list.
- 8,221 existing recent items lists were updated.
The 5 most popular items added to WorldCat in August were:
Fool, added by 1,277 WorldCat libraries.
Up Close and Personal, added by 1,136 WorldCat libraries
Summer on Blossom Street, added by 1,068 WorldCat libraries
Take two, added by 834 WorldCat libraries.
Nicki, added by 817 WorldCat libraries.