WorldCat Identities

McIntosh, James F. 1923-

Works: 220 works in 224 publications in 1 language and 289 library holdings
Genres: Biography  Military history  Personal narratives‡vAmerican  History 
Publication Timeline
Most widely held works about James F McIntosh
Most widely held works by James F McIntosh
Wisconsin at war( Book )

1 edition published in 2002 in English and held by 55 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

Imnterviews with Wisconsin veterans about their experiences in warfare during the 20th century
Oral history interview with Mark A. Nagan by Mark A Nagan( )

2 editions published in 2001 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

Nagan, a Kaukauna, Wis. native, discusses his World War II service as a glider with the 325th Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division and his experiences in the European theater of operation
Oral history interview with David O'Dea by David O'Dea( )

2 editions published in 2002 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

The Madison, Wis. native, discusses his World War II service with the 11th Regimental Combat Team, 5th Infantry Division serving in Europe. In basic training when Pearl Harbor was attacked, O'Dea served overseas for the whole of the war. He talks about training with the browning automatic rifle (BAR) at Fort Custer (Michigan), duty in Iceland to prevent German occupation of the island, friendly attitude of Icelanders toward the Germans, and the little amount soldiers interacted with the Icelanders. O'Dea tells of seeing the bodies of Merchant Marines who were killed by a German submarine, additional training in England and Northern Ireland, and orders to France in July of 1944. He describes moving to the front lines, passing the bodies of German troops, repulsing a German attack, carrying the radio alongside the company commander, and seeing American planes bomb St. Lo. He tells of being ambushed while driving through Angers (France), trying to reach the "Falaise Gap" to cut off the Germans, and advancing faster then the gas supply. At the Mosell River front, he touches upon heavy fire, learning to recognize the noise of a shell overhead, and the skill of German machine gunners. O'Dea describes being called for the Battle of the Bulge and taking civilian's white bedsheets to camouflage his uniform. He mentions brief occupation duty in Germany, using the GI Bill to buy a house, and joining the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)
Oral history interview with Robert E. Clampitt by Robert E Clampitt( )

2 editions published in 2000 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

Robert E. Clampitt, a Cross Plains, Wisconsin resident, discusses his career with the Army spanning the Korean, Cold, and Vietnam Wars. Clampitt was born in Terre Haute, Indiana and graduated high school in Madison, Wisconsin in 1946. He states he tried to enlist in the Army when he turned 18, but the military made him wait until he finished high school. He declares that his intention to join the Army was to later qualify for the GI Bill and go to college. He reports that he was sent to Fort McClellan [Alabama] for basic training and then to Fort Riley [Kansas] for Intelligence School. Soon after he describes being deployed to Italy along the Isonzo River with the 88th Division, Company K, 350th Infantry. Clampitt recounts being sent there because of tensions along the border with Yugoslavs. He also describes some of the grim living conditions that Italian civilians faced after World War II. After a year in Italy, Clampitt reports being discharged and coming back to Madison where he joined the Army Reserve as part of the 84th Airborne Division. Before going off to jump school and getting his parachute wings at Fort Benning [Georgia], Clampitt mentions he got married. When the Korean War broke out, Clampitt speaks of his decision to volunteer to active duty with the regular Army. After being sent to Camp Atterbury [Indiana[, Clampitt talks about heading to Korea with the 24th Division where he served as Staff Sergeant and was assigned to guarding prisoners. After his enlistment in Korea was finished, Clampitt reveals that he re-enlisted for the 25th Division, "'cause they were goin' to Hawaii ... and that seemed like a better place than South Korea." Clampitt recalls many of his experiences at Schofield Barracks [Hawaii] from 1954 to 1956, including having his second child, training on the side of a volcano, and how his Division was used in the 1956 film "Between Heaven and Hell". Clampitt describes getting a job as an instructor through the non-commissioned officer academy until he went home. From this training, Clampitt states he was able to get a job as a ROTC instructor at the University of Illinois-Chicago. He reflects on how much he enjoyed teaching American military history and how much he felt like a faculty member. He touches upon the differences between that teaching assignment and a later experience at the University of Wisconsin. He briefly touches upon a three-month training through the Mountain Warfare School at Camp Hale [Colorado]. He provides some anecdotes of using mules to carry equipment up the mountain. Clampitt explains that he re-enlisted for six years in 1960 and was sent to Germany with the 24th Division. He describes his recon patrol along the Berlin Wall and recalls his impression of dealing with the East Germans. He recounts one particular experience of spotting a Russian soldier near the Brandenburg Gate. He briefly mentions traveling around Germany during his time there with his wife and family. By the time he left Germany, Clampitt states he had become Sergeant First Class. Clampitt mentions that he had tried several times to volunteer to go to Vietnam while still in Germany, and in 1965 he states he was given orders to attend Special Warfare School to prepare for Vietnam. He talks about the training at Fort Bragg [North Carolina] before heading to Vietnam as a ranger battalion in the 3rd Corps where he called in air strikes via radio. Next, he describes working at the 3rd Corps Tactical Operations Center as a Non-Commissioned Officer-In-Charge (NCOIO). He speaks of keeping track of the situation map along with American and Vietnamese officers. Clampitt talks about how his tour ended short because his wife was involved in a serious auto accident and touches on dealing with the recovery. He states that was re-assigned to the University of Wisconsin as an Operations Center Sergeant, where he states he was treated like a second-class citizen. Clampitt illustrates the atmosphere on campus during the Vietnam protests and riots, especially towards police officers and military personnel. After his wife was able to recover, Clampitt tells of his return to Vietnam in 1968. He states he served as an advisor to the Regional Forces Popular Forces (RFPF) and was sent to the Mekong Delta, which according to Clampitt was a particularly dangerous place. He laughs while remembering what he told his wife before he left: "If I write back and tell you I'm in the Delta, call the insurance man and tell him to start the paperwork and just wait for the date." Clampitt provides a sketch of the region in 1968 and illustrates some of the frustration and difficulties of working with the RFPF. "When they were good, they were very, very good, and when they were bad they were horrid" he says of the RFPF. Clampitt reveals one particularly scary incident of being out with the Popular Force one night and having the feeling that they would turn him and another officer over to the VC before the night was over. He describes how the incident started when one of the PF soldiers stole a captain's pistol. Before things got out of hand, Clampitt says he pretended to be on the radio to a ship that was close by that he describes as "spooky" to the PF soldiers, which prevented them from turning on them. He recounts what happened next: "We went to the colonel the next day ... and said 'We recommend that no more Americans go to this, to help with this platoon. And furthermore, we both refuse to go out.' He said 'What if I order you to go out?' I said 'We will both refuse.'" Clampitt goes on to give his opinion on the North Vietnamese Soldiers and recalls some of his observation missions. He points out an incident where he found a 500-pound bomb and describes how the cheap wrist watch to set it off did not work. Clampitt also recalls encounters with the actor Jimmy Stewart and General Abrams. He describes the food and weather in Vietnam. Clampitt finished his tour in 1969, and states he was sent back to Fort Riley [Kansas] and was promoted to 1st Sergeant. He tells that he stayed there for two years before deciding to retire, stating his reason being he did not want to go on for a third tour of Vietnam. He then recounts his life after retiring from the Army, how he came back to civilian life in Sun Prairie, getting a job as the Chief of Police in Cross Plains, and becoming involved in the American Legion
Oral history interview with Homer Dougan by Homer Dougan( )

1 edition published in 1999 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide

He then recounts transferring to Office of Strategic Services (predecessor of the Central Intelligence Agency) in Rangoon helping load and unload air drops around Rangoon. Dougan describes feeling luxurious when returning to the United States at the end of the war on a C-4 carrier and compares the experience to leaving for war. Upon returning to Wisconsin, Dougan discusses using the G.I. Bill to be trained as a mechanic and using those skills to find work on a railroad, then at a brewery and later in Alaska working on the oil pipeline. He ends the interview discussing his maintained military friendships and his involvement in his local VFW
Oral history interview with John Sheskey by John Sheskey( )

2 editions published in 2000 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide

John Sheskey, a Randolph, Wis. native, discusses his Korean War service with the Navy aboard the USS DeHaven. He touches upon boot camp at San Diego (California), electronic school at Treasure Island (California), and being seasick the entire boat ride to Japan. He recalls being in Japan and learning that the North Korean Army had invaded South Korea. Sheskey talks about being stationed off the southern coast of Korea and firing at the North Korean Army, providing fire support for Marines landing at Inchon, and going absent without leave (AWOL) to visit his mother. He mentions his confinement in a Marine-run brig and talks about the quality of the food, transport to the USS Piedmon, extending his enlistment, and return home
Oral history interview with Norman Alff by Norman A Alff( )

1 edition published in 2000 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide

Norman Alff, a Columbus, Wisconsin native, discusses his World War II service as a communications man in North Africa and Italy with Company K, 362nd Division, 91st Infantry, and his post-war involvement with the ROTC program at the University of Wisconsin. He talks about basic training at Camp White (Oregon) and his role stringing telephone wire and carrying communication equipment like the SCR-300 radio. Alff relates transportation to Africa, practice landing operations in North Africa, and training to fire a bazooka. Stationed at Arno (Italy), he comments on combat conditions including being under mortar and artillery fire, night patrols, and rest and relaxation in Tuscany. He relates the disappearance of a nearby squad, and later discovering they had been captured by Germans. Alff mentions crossing the Arno River, establishing outposts in the North Apennines Mountains, and being wounded by two "shoe mines" while trying to help a medic who had been wounded by a mine. Wounded in the legs and face, he discusses medical treatment in Rome and later receiving treatment for jaundice in Naples (Italy). He comments on occupation duty in Gorizia (Italy) and touchy relations there with Yugoslavian troops. Alff mentions seeing the Isle of Capri before coming home and discusses his role as the ROTC Regimental Executive Officer at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He talks about majoring in international relations, working at General Motors, keeping in touch with a few other veterans, and revisiting Italy with his wife
Oral history interview with Lewis B. Harned by Lewis B Harned( )

1 edition published in 2001 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide

Lewis B. Harned, a Madison, Wisconsin native, discusses his World War II service as a volunteer ambulance driver with the American Field Service attached to the 8th British Army, his Korean War service as a surgeon with the Air Force, and his Wisconsin Army National Guard service as commander of the 13th Evacuation Hospital during Operation Desert Storm
Oral history interview with Henry R. Zach by Henry R Zach( )

1 edition published in 1999 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide

Henry Zach, a Burnett County, Wis. native, discusses his World War II service with the 32nd Armored Regiment of the 3rd Armored Division and gives a vivid account of his experiences during the Malmedy Massacre at Baugnez (Belgium). He talks about armored training, fighting at St. Mere-Eglise and Caen, and his role as reconnaissance for his platoon. Zach comments on the organization and strategy of an armored reconnaissance unit including vehicle mobility, radio contact, and the problem of sniper fire. He touches upon encountering the "dragon's teeth" and rest and relaxation in Paris. Zach was taken prisoner at the Battle of the Bulge and vividly recalls being captured and searched for valuables by German soldiers, the march to Baugnez, and his discovery of the Germans' intent to kill them. Held in a field with a number of other American soldiers, Zach details being shot at by German soldiers, kicked to determine if he was still living, several instances of gun fire at Americans lying in the field, and being rescued by an American captain and two enlisted men. He returned to the United States and addresses medical care received, leg wound problems, and attempts to increase his disability pay
Oral history interview with Dennis Zoellner by Dennis Zoellner( )

1 edition published in 2000 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide

Dennis Zoellner, a Marinette, Wisconsin native, discusses his Vietnam War service with the Navy Seabees Mobile Construction Battalion 7 (MCB 7). Zoellner talks about enlisting with the Seabees, basic training and Seabee school at Davisville (Rhode Island), and training in heavy equipment and building. Landing in Da Nang (Vietnam) in 1966, he mentions three men being wounded by heavy fire on the airstrip. Zoellner describes building an addition to the hospital at Da Nang and the deterioration of equipment due to the hot climate. He touches on having excellent food and describes what he did to stay cool. Stationed alongside a Marine helicopter unit, Zoellner describes living under rocket fire, duty guarding the perimeter, and medical treatment for a hernia aboard the USS Repose. He describes arresting a Vietnamese interpreter who tried to get into the camp at night to spy on the perimeter, and he says this incident still bothers him. Zoellner touches upon readjustment problems of Vietnam veterans and claims the flight home provided no adjustment time between combat and life at home. He talks about establishing a road block to assist a Marine patrols, finding a sentry asleep at his post, and lack of military discipline in Vietnam. He says his unit did not have problems with drugs or drinking, even though beer was not limited. Zoellner expresses resentment of the poor homecoming Vietnam veterans received, lack of recognition, draft dodgers. He touches on his membership in the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars
Oral history interview with Russell Scheu by Russell L Scheu( )

1 edition published in 2000 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide

Russell L. Scheu, a Merrill, Wisconsin native, discusses his career in the Air Force working in cryptography maintenance, including service during the Cold War and the Vietnam War with the 11th Detachment, 619th Tactical Control Squadron. Scheu talks about crypto maintenance school at Lackland Air Force Base (Texas): training with classified equipment, being investigated through a background check, not being allowed to take notes or have homework, and seeing classmates arrested for spying or breaking security rules. He states training under high security was stressful and had a high washout rate. Scheu talks about the changes in coding machine capabilities and the increase in secure communications over time. Assigned to a radar unit in Antigo (Wisconsin), he addresses having his radar skills tested by B-52 bombers flying Strategic Air Command missions. He touches on the policy that allowed women on the base and pulling a prank on his chief of maintenance. While stationed in Antigo, Scheu met and married a local woman and, while on his honeymoon, he received orders to go overseas. He talks about having difficulty getting paid while his orders were being changed. Scheu recalls arriving at Tan Son Nhut Airbase (Vietnam) in full dress blues, having women enter the showers to do laundry, and spending several days trying to track down his unit. Assigned to Det. 11, 619 Tac Control Squadron on Hon Tre Island, he discusses sharing facilities with the Army, lack of fresh food, water and sanitation facilities, and filling sandbags during his down time. Scheu describes his crypto maintenance duties maintaining cryptography and other communications, repairing smaller units' cryptography equipment, and using a telephone line to call in codes when the radar was down. He tells of coming under ground fire while on a transport plane. Scheu tells of being prepared to destroy code equipment if the base was under attack to prevent it falling into enemy hands, and he analyzes the policy that code workers were to be killed or kill themselves rather then being taken prisoner as well as and the bounty offered by the NVA for communications prisoners. He details a combat situation when he was on guard duty and his base was attacked by the North Vietnamese: taking cover behind sandbags, waiting for backup, and running low on ammunition. Scheu recalls an instance when the base was attacked and the Air Force personnel had the only weapons because the Army personnel had locked their ammunition up and didn't have the keys. He mentions that men who caught venereal diseases had to stay in Vietnam past their year-long commitment. He describes his relationship with "Mama-san," the unit's Vietnamese cleaning lady, stealing concertina wire and other equipment from the Army on the mainland, and the psychological effects of his living situation. Scheu talks about writing letters home, sharing food received in packages, and getting a Red Cross telegram saying that his wife had given birth. He touches on entertainment shows for the soldiers and sneaking supplies out to give to Mama-san. He talks about supplementing rations by stealing food from the Army, use of marijuana by soldiers, and waste of equipment so that the unit wouldn't get in trouble for having too much during inspections. Scheu mentions people mailing radios or weapons home and the difficulty of successfully mailing camera film. He analyzes why the airmen in his unit didn't form close friendships, why he did not go on R & R, and difficulty of returning home and readjusting. He reflects that combat "was worse after it was all over than when it was happening." Stationed in Kunsan (Korea) in the mid 1970s, Scheu touches on learning about Korean culture, problems on the base with alcohol, the friendliness of Korean civilians, and government-sanctioned brothels. He talks about military personnel who had "long-term" girls, preventative measures against venereal diseases, strip clubs near the base, and men getting in trouble with their families because they were spending all their money on alcohol and women. Scheu addresses how the Air Force handled servicemen who wanted to marry prostitutes. He speaks about a year at Eglin Air Force Base (Florida) securing communications for test programs, being Com Sec Officer at Greater Pittsburgh International Airport with units of the National Guard and Reserves, and accumulating leave time. Stationed in Turkey, he details bringing his family, wearing gas masks and charcoal suits during drills, and learning Turkish customs. Scheu refers to the poverty his family witnessed, barring his door during a coup, checking his car for bombs before driving, and wearing civilian clothes off base. He tells of his van getting hijacked by Turkish troops, emphasizes he was "nobody because you're in their country," and reflects on the way women were treated as property. Scheu tells of buying carpets in the country, sterilizing food and water, difficulty dealing with the heat while wearing modest clothing, forming close relationships with other American families on the base, and dealing with customs taxes. He reports Turkey was the first place he worked with women communications personnel. Assigned to Castle Air Force Base (California), he talks about working as a Record Com Superintendent and being responsible for all the classified documents and equipment on base. Scheu explains why he could not be promoted past master sergeant and feeling burned out by responsibilities in California. He mentions working in England. Scheu touches on using the GI Bill to attend school and settling into a civilian career as a veteran service officer
Propaganda flyers( )

in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide

Two flyers from the Korean War era. One is a safe conduct pass written in English, Korean, and Japanese guaranteeing safe passage to the bearer through enemy lines to surrender. The second flyer is a propaganda piece advocating the philosophy of the Guo-ming-Dangs, a political group against the Chinese Communist Party. A 1998 translation is included
Oral history interview with William C. Steaffens by William C Steaffens( )

1 edition published in 2002 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide

William Steaffens, a Berlin, Wisconsin native, discusses his Navy service as a radioman in World War II and as a communications technician during the Korean War
Oral history interview with James E. Rowsam by James E Rowsam( )

1 edition published in 2001 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide

James E. Rowsam, a Plainfield, Wisconsin native, discusses his career in the Army, including service in the Korean War with the 64th Engineer Maintenance Company, the Vietnam War with the 826th Ordnance Company, and the Army Reserves. Rowsam tells of enlisting in the Army, basic training at Breckenridge (Kentucky), and struggling to be assigned to the Corps of Engineers. Sent as a replacement to the Headquarters & Service Company, 7th Infantry, 13th Combat Engineer Battalion in Sendai (Japan), he discusses heavy equipment mechanics school, repairing and operating heavy equipment, rebuilding a Japanese school, and assisting with English lessons. Rowsam comments on going through amphibious training and being attached to the Marine Corps. He details what he was doing when the war started, being sent back to his unit in Sapporo, and running across a woman from his hometown who was working for the Department of the Army. He mentions leaving Japan for Inchon (Korea), turning back from the landing to pick up ammunition for a firing battery, being hit in the head by a falling ceiling beam, and being treated at an aide station by a tired corpsman. After catching up with his unit near Seoul, Rowsam touches on working with bridge trucks, repairing roads, catching frostbite, and landing at Iwon. He tells of trying to heat up frozen food, finding an artillery tractor abandoned in a ditch, and constant stress. Rowsam describes fighting up to the Yalu River with A Company of the 17th Regiment, being wounded in the foot by shrapnel, and being evacuated from Hungnam by a British cargo ship. Returned to the Headquarters & Service Company, he refers to work in the "Iron Triangle" region including surviving a truck accident, losing new replacement troops to a mortar. He touches on his rotation home and suffering from malaria. After having his service date extended a year, Rowsam talks about serving as field first sergeant of the 62nd Engineer Maintenance Company at Fort Bragg (North Carolina), practicing heavy equipment airdrops, taking an advanced diesel engine rebuild course at Fort Belvoir (Virginia), and nearly getting court-martialed for teaching a trick of adding diesel to radiators when no antifreeze is available. He recalls an emotional meeting on the street with a soldier whom he'd saved from freezing to death in Korea. Rowsam speaks of getting discharged, marrying a nurse, having problems with the leg that had been frostbitten, and using the GI Bill to attend college and graduate school. He comments on joining the active Army Reserves and being assigned to the 826th Ammunition Ordnance Company in Madison (Wisconsin). Rowsam recalls hearing about his unit's activation in 1968 on the radio, supervising a convoy to Fort Knox (Kentucky), and having jungle training. He describes going overseas aboard the SS Louise Lykes as the equipment escort and, after fixing their hydraulic hatch cover, teaching hydraulics lessons to the sailors every morning. He details his duties with the 3rd Ordnance Company at Long Binh (Vietnam) doing maintenance and loading ammunition onto trucks and helicopter cargo nets. Rowsam reflects on living in tents, sneakily building a brick building for the unit during the night, switching paperwork during an impromptu inspection, nearly getting in trouble when his men were caught playing horseshoes instead of working, and controversy over a "stolen" grader. He highlights the competence and ingenuity of his unit. He speaks about visiting with the crew of the SS Louise Lykes and giving them a pallet of beer he'd discovered addressed to the Marines and camouflaged as soap. Rowsam tells of rocket attacks, a Viet Cong attempt to infiltrate the camp, and discovering a spider hole near the motor pool. He describes recurring problems with malaria. After his enlistment was up, Rowsam touches on having trouble finding all his paperwork, doing special projects at Fort McCoy, and recording the history of the 826th Ordnance Company
Oral history interview with Lawrence Danielson by Lawrence K Danielson( )

1 edition published in 2000 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide

Lawrence "Larry" Danielson, a La Crosse, Wisconsin native, discusses his Korean War service as a code specialist working with Chinese and Korean languages as part of the 501st Communication Recon Group, 326th Communications Reconnaissance Company. Danielson relates basic and infantry training in Kansas and code school at Fort Devens (Massachusetts). At code school, he touches on learning Morse code and states he had to listen to Morse code while he slept. He details the types of codes used by the Chinese and Koreans. Sent to Korea, Danielson talks about his equipment, monitoring radio traffic, attacks on his detachment, working behind enemy lines, and periodic rest leaves in Japan. He talks about the Korean and Chinese civilian translators working for him in the field and mentions he was not ever allowed to talk about them. He tells of losing a civilian friend because the civilian was driving a brakeless jeep that he hadn't been warned about. Danielson describes the food and mentions getting frostbitten toes. He comments on the secrecy and fear involved with his job. He touches on his work with the National Security Agency in Arlington (Virginia) where he was given tasks "so he would have something to do until I got out." He speaks of his use of the GI Bill, membership in the VFW and American Legion, and career in teaching
Oral history interview with Raymond Strassman by Raymond Strassman( )

1 edition published in 1999 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide

Strassman talks about his World War II service with the Army Air Force in the Pacific theater as a member of the 400th Bomb Squad, 90th Bomb Group, 5th Air Force. He mentions basic training at Greensboro (North Carolina), radio school, serving as a radio instructor, volunteering for overseas duty, and gunnery school at Yuma (Arizona). Strassman discusses crew assignment, bombing runs in a B24 aircraft, and the differences between a B27 and B17. Stationed at Mindoro Island, he mentions flying in group formation, bombing Hong Kong, encounters with anti-aircraft fire, and the mission where his unit lost a plane. Strassman comments on rest and relaxation in Australia, seeing Bob Hope and Frances Langford in a USO show, and ship ride back to the United States
Oral history interview with Melvin H. Rickard by Melvin H Rickard( )

1 edition published in 1999 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide

Melvin Rickard, a Linden, Wisconsin native, discusses his World War II service with the glider unit of the 81st Anti Aircraft Battalion, 101st Airborne Division; he focuses his discussion on the D-Day landing, Operation Market Garden, and his experiences as a prisoner of war. Rickard talks about basic training at Fort Bragg (North Carolina), assignment to a glider unit, the differences between American and English gliders, and training in England in preparation for the invasion of Normandy. He describes the D-Day invasion including Utah Beach landing, taking cover from German aircraft fire, moving inland to take the town of Carentan (France), protecting a bridge under heavy artillery fire, and a close call when a friend was killed. After a furlough in Cornwall (England), Rickard details Operation Market Garden in Holland, including hearing German soldiers talking in the woods, guard duty at night, lack of food because supplies were intercepted by the Germans, hearing the German attack approach, and being unable to communicate with other American and British troops. He tells of surrendering with other American troops, staying with other prisoners of war at a Dutch farm, a visit by German propaganda broadcaster Axis Sally (Mildred Gillars), the packed boxcar ride to Stalag 2B, and interrogation. He touches upon his stay in a German prison including receiving Red Cross packages, exchanging cigarettes for bread and vegetables with the prison guards, having yellow jaundice and an ulcerated tooth, and marching through a blizzard with inadequate shoes as the Russian troops approached. Marching for two and a half months, Rickard recalls the cold, sleeping in barns, becoming familiar with some German civilians, stealing potatoes, and suffering from a bad back and frozen feet. He highlights the importance of Colonel Wallace, a fellow prisoner of war who kept him going. Rickard mentions arriving at Stalag 2A a week before the Russians arrived and the prisoners' decision to stay behind. After liberation, he talks about leaving the camp, scavenging for food and alcohol, and having two Russian soldiers rob him of his wristwatch. After delousing, he remembers being shipped to Camp Lucky Strike (France) and having lunch with General Eisenhower. Rickard mentions playing ping pong at an Army hospital in Macon (Georgia), waiting for enough points to be discharged, and joining the American Legion and Disabled American Veterans. He describes a couple coincidences from his service time, his career afterwards, and his efforts trying to get in touch with his POW friend
Oral history interview with Kenneth Bender by Kenneth L Bender( )

1 edition published in 2000 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide

Kenneth L. Bender, a Polo, Illinois native, discusses his service with the Army during the Korean and Vietnam Wars and his Cold War service in Germany. Bender talks about enlisting in 1951, basic training at Schofield Barracks (Hawaii), and being flown as a replacement to Korea via Japan. Assigned to Company F of the 2nd Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, he states he was sent into combat the day after his arrival. Bender talks about the Battle of Heartbreak Ridge where he fired a Browning automatic rifle (BAR). He comments on transferring to a mortar crew and using old rounds from World War II. He discusses the high causality rate, effectiveness of Chinese mortar fire, and the Army's use of Koreans to deliver food and water to the front line soldiers. Bender emphasizes the importance of airstrikes and recalls being impressed by the Marine pilots at Hill 1005. He describes the changes setting up a static line had and shifting to combat patrol tactics. He touches on use of artificial moonlight and having R & R in Kokura (Japan). After being shipped back to the States and a thirty-day leave at home, Bender touches on joining the 155th Regiment, 31st Division at Camp Atterbury (Indiana) and training troops as an acting first sergeant. He touches on duty with the 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division training troops in Gelnhausen (Germany) and transferring to F Company of the 14th Armored Cavalry at Bad Kissingen. Bender discusses patrol duty on the East/West German border and working with the Grenzpolizei (German police). After returning to the States in 1957, he mentions assignment to the 18th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division at Fort Riley (Kansas). Transferred to the 8th Infantry Regiment (which changed to the 17th Regiment, 7th Infantry Division), Bender tells of being shipped to Camp Kaiser (Korea). He comments, "all the guys had to do was sex and liquor." He talks about duty as a training NCO (non-commissioned officer) and his role in the color guard. Returned to the States again in 1961, he talks about assignment to the 10th Infantry Regiment, 5th Division at Fort Carson (Colorado). Bender comments on his work in military education as an instructor and rifle coach for ROTC Junior at St. John's Military Academy (Wisconsin). Transferred in 1967 to Company D, 1st Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Division, he talks about duty as an E-8 first sergeant in Vietnam. Based at Camp Enari, Bender talks about search and destroy missions in the Central Highlands and evaluates the North Vietnamese Army. He describes his participation in a combat patrol skirmish with an NVA battalion, the Battle of Dak To (Hill 875), and the '68 Tet Offensive. He talks about his men only having problems with marijuana off the front lines. Transferred to the 15th Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division at Wildflecken (Germany), Bender compares his tours in Germany, stating that the German people seemed more independent in 1968. He recalls being diagnosed with malaria and applying for a compassionate transfer leave to return to the United States. He tells of serving at the National Guard Advisory in Logansport (Indiana) with the 38th Division until his retirement in 1971. Bender touches on having a lifelong membership in the Veterans of Foreign Wars, using the GI Bill to buy a house and for school, and keeping in touch with other veterans
Oral history interview with Kenneth C. Ossmann by Kenneth C Ossmann( )

1 edition published in 2001 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide

Kenneth Ossmann, a Janesville, Wisconsin native, discusses his World War II service with the Air Corps as a pilot with the 16th Bomb Group, 20th Air Force in the Pacific Theater
Oral history interview with John W. Philipps by John W Philipps( )

1 edition published in 2000 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide

John W. Philipps, a Lancaster, Wisconsin native, discusses his World War II service as an Air Force mechanic and gunner with the 453rd Bomb Group. Philipps mentions basic training at Jefferson Barracks (Missouri) and airplane mechanic school in Illinois. He talks about the kinds of airplanes he worked with at mechanic training at Hamilton Field (California), aerial gunnery school at Las Vegas (Nevada), and assignment to a B-24 crew at March Field (California). Philipps comments on his long flight to RAF Old Buckenham Airfield (England), problems caused by bad weather during missions into occupied France and Germany, opposition from antiaircraft and enemy fighter planes, and shrapnel damage. He addresses food, flight equipment, taking shelter from the Blitz while on leave in London, and going to Edinburgh on leave. Philipps tells of having an engine shot out during a mission to bomb an oil refinery in Politz (Germany). He touches upon working as a classroom instructor in Ireland, being shipped back to the United States in 1944, and getting married before transferring to Truax Field (Madison), where he worked in a supply room. After being discharged, Philipps mentions becoming a member of the VFW and the American Legion, and he talks about his civilian career
moreShow More Titles
fewerShow Fewer Titles
Audience Level
Audience Level
  Kids General Special  
Audience level: 0.36 (from 0.20 for Wisconsin ... to 0.72 for Oral histo ...)

Wisconsin at war
English (26)