WorldCat Identities

Wisconsin Veterans Museum

Works: 755 works in 757 publications in 1 language and 761 library holdings
Genres: Personal narratives‡vAmerican  History  Anecdotes  Records and correspondence 
Publication Timeline
Publications about Wisconsin Veterans Museum Publications about Wisconsin Veterans Museum
Publications by Wisconsin Veterans Museum Publications by Wisconsin Veterans Museum
Most widely held works about Wisconsin Veterans Museum
moreShow More Titles
fewerShow Fewer Titles
Most widely held works by Wisconsin Veterans Museum
Oral history interview with James H. Blankenheim by James H Blankenheim ( )
2 editions published in 2003 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide
James Blankenheim, a Madison, Wisconsin native, discusses his service during the Vietnam War as a forward air controller with the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division
Oral history interview with Donald Collins by Donald E Collins ( )
2 editions published in 2002 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide
Donald E. Collins, a Sunbury, Pennsylvania native, discusses his World War II service as a radio striker aboard the USS Finback, a Navy submarine, serving in the Pacific Ocean. Collins talks about graduating from high school early, enlisting, and being turned down from a Navy bombing squadron and a Marine parachute unit because he was too light-weight. He talks about boot camp at Sampson (New York), radio school at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, learning Morse code, and volunteering for submarine service. He describes the testing he underwent prior to submarine duty including aptitude tests, psychological examinations, pressure tests, and a Mommsen Lung escape technique test. Collins touches upon additional training in encryption, sound gear operation, and how to handle any other crew member's job in an emergency. He characterizes Admiral Charles Lockwood and the officer who ran the submarine base, Chief Torpedoman Charles Spritz. Collins touches on volunteering to handle meat aboard a troop ship and being aboard a Fulton sub tender during a fire. Collins mentions assignment to the USS Finback (SS-230) at Midway Island. He describes his first patrol in the China Sea, shooting and exploding mines, sinking Japanese ships, and two weeks of rest at Majuro (Marshall Islands). He discusses qualification testing and his duties as a radioman, lookout, sound equipment operator, and Radio Direction Finder operator. Collins talks about hunting oil tankers off Iwo Jima and expecting air support that didn't come, and he mentions scouting Truk Island. He tells of being shot at by an American destroyer, techniques used by the Japanese Navy involving sampans to lure submarines for attack, and hearing depth charges approach the sub. Collins touches upon military life including the relationship between officers and enlisted men, drinking alcohol distilled aboard the submarine from "torpedo juice," receiving a brandy ration when the ship was under heavy fire, staying at Hawaiian hotels between missions, and eating free dinner at a Hawaiian restaurant. He describes air-sea rescue procedures and tells of pilots who were afraid of the submarine. While patrolling near Chichi Jima, the Finback rescued a downed Navy pilot (President George Bush) and he talks about being shipboard with Bush for about three weeks. After the war, Collins touches on joining the Navy Reserves, attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison on the GI Bill, working in an intelligence unit in the basement of a professor at the University of Wisconsin, marrying a woman from Madison, meeting George Bush when he ran for president, and pursuing a career in criminal justice. Collins states he resisted joining veteran's organizations because he didn't want them to influence his job, but he was made commander of the VFW for two years while helping them solve money-theft problems
Oral history interview with Susan A. Pranke by Susan A Pranke ( )
1 edition published in 2007 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide
Susan Pranke, a Green Bay, Wisconsin reside nt, discusses her career in the Army and her service as a Supply Officer during the Persian Gulf War. Born in De Pere (Wisconsin), Pranke attended East De Pere High School and fought a court battle to play on the boys baseball team. Pranke calls herself "one of the forerunners" for equality in women's athletics. Pranke remembers being fascinated by the military early on; at age four she would play with her father's old Soldier's Manual from World War II. Pranke also mentions being inspired by the television show "Gomer Pyle." She discusses her parents' negative reaction to her interest in joining the Army and her decision to wait to enlist until she was in college so she would not need their signature. Pranke attended University of Wisconsin-Green Bay for one year before transferring to University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, where she majored in Recreation Leadership. Pranke describes enlisting in the Army Reserve Office Training Corps (ROTC) during her sophomore year. She reveals she only doubted her decision for "about thirty seconds" when she arrived at basic training at Fort Knox (Kentucky) the summer after her sophomore year. Pranke covers her basic and officer training in detail, remarking that the drill sergeants treated everyone in ROTC "just like G.I.s." She outlines the demographics of her classmates who came from diverse regions. Pranke mentions most women she knew in ROTC had relatives in the military or grew up as "Army brats," which made Pranke feel like a "cold fish out of water." Pranke also describes befriending foreign soldiers in her Army classes from Zaire, Botswana, Sudan, Korea, and Egypt. Between her junior and senior year, she attended Advanced Camp at Fort Riley (Kansas) where soldiers creatively battled wood ticks. Later that summer, Pranke did on-the-job training at Fort Campbell (Kentucky) with a Quartermaster Officer. While at Fort Campbell, Pranke attended Air Assault School which involved rigging materials like jeeps to be picked up by helicopters, rappelling out of Chinsook and Huey helicopters, and completing a ten-mile march in two hours. She tells a story of falling off the helicopter skid during training and bravely rappelling to the ground. Pranke states that she was one of the first 100 women to graduate from Air Assault School and that she was one of only two women in her class to finish the road march. She tells of encountering jealousy and condescension from male classmates when she returned to UW- La Crosse wearing her Air Assault Wings. After graduating college, Pranke applied to become a Military Intelligence Officer, but she was given a Quartermaster Officer commission instead, which she feels was ultimately a better fit. Pranke attended General Troop Support training at Fort Lee (Virginia) before she was given her first assignment in Fort Polk (Louisiana) to a Division. Pranke explains she was happy to go to a Division because she would learn what the "Army was really all about." She praises several officers who were strong role models, including a female Company Commander in her Advanced Individual Training, and Major Dowling whom she worked with in the Division Support Command at Fort Polk. After a couple years at Fort Polk, where Pranke states she was the only female officer, she attended Airborne School at Fort Benning (Georgia) and then Parachute Rigging School in Germany. Pranke describes both experiences in detail, addressing the differences between jumping out of airplanes versus helicopters. She explains rigging school involved packing and repacking parachutes and securing equipment to be airdropped. Pranke feels seeing another woman from Wisconsin who had gone through Rigger School inspired her to go too. She states: "I always had to prove to myself that I was capable of what everybody else was." Following parachute training, Pranke, now a Captain, was put in charge of six people, including a few civilians, in the 29th Area Support Command in Kaiserslautern (Germany). After one year, she became Company Commander of a Rigger Detachment in the 705th Maintenance Battalion, putting her in charge of over 80 soldiers. She comments that "Airborne people [are] a different subset." She notes that she sent four or five soldiers working for her to alcohol and drug rehab. Pranke discusses the effective rehabilitation therapy available to soldiers, but also the difficulty of being the officer to send them there. Pranke relates an encounter with an angry "Army wife" whose husband was in alcohol treatment. She also touches upon personal scandals of soldiers in the Rigger unit: her first lieutenant was discharged for cheating on his wife, and another soldier went to prison for attacking his wife, a German citizen, in a drunken rage. After 21 months as a Company Commander, Pranke went to the University of Montana to be an ROTC instructor and serve on the Accessions Board. Pranke appreciated seeing the assignment process from behind the scenes and being a role model for the cadets. In August, 1990, Pranke was called up to Kuwait, the Persian Gulf War having just begun. Pranke portrays herself as reluctant to go. She was stationed in Saudi Arabia as a Staff Officer in the supply wing of the 18th Airborne Corps, 101st Corps Support Command. By now a Captain Promotable, Pranke states her job was to brief and educate commanders in the Persian Gulf about supply logistics and "what we could offer" units in the area. Pranke expresses frustration at the layers of bureaucracy and the two-day delay in communication that made it hard to deliver accurate reports. Pranke tells a story of the Colonel of the 101st ordering the supply staff to travel 200 miles to get chicken and hamburger meat because he was tired of eating "Meals Ready to Eat." Pranke depicts this Colonel as short-sighted, explaining that her objections were ignored and that the soldiers got sick from the fresh food because their bodies were used to eating MREs. Shortly after arriving in Iraq, Pranke recalls hearing on BBC radio that the war was over. Almost as soon as she got to Iraq, Pranke says, she was sent back to Saudi Arabia with the first wave of troops to return. Pranke states Saudi civilians "would come and be all smiles ... and go out of their way to shake our hands and say, 'Thank you, thank you.'" In Saudi Arabia, Pranke explains she was reestablishing operations and setting up camp for an estimated 10,000 troops. Pranke says because they were the first group back to Saudi Arabia, they had to cater food and hire Sri Lankans to serve it. She details the delivery of bottled water and how trucks would come from Mecca and jostle to be the first unloaded at the dock. Pranke also mentions Saudi civilians would sneak over the fence to steal bottled water while the Army looked the other way. Once the U.S. began to pull out of the Middle East, Pranke reveals that the Saudis raided the base for mattresses, cots, cranes, plywood, and supplies the Army left behind. She comments briefly on interacting with Saudi civilians and seeing nomads, camel herds, and women wearing burqas. Pranke was impressed by the "expressive eyes" of the women. After nearly eight months in Saudia Arabia, Pranke was flown home. A single woman at the time, she recalls that the wives' support group had called her parents and arranged for a former cadet Pranke had taught in Montana to meet her at the airport. Pranke continued her career in the Army, attending Petroleum Supply School and later becoming a logistician officer in Japan for the 500th Military Intelligence Brigade. Now a Major, Pranke had a top secret clearance and learned much about military intelligence. In 1996, Pranke left Japan and retired early, at fifteen years instead of twenty, because there was an excess amount of officers in her class year. Pranke comments on the respect and opportunities that come with having a rank and reveals she was often mistaken for a West Point graduate because of her experience. She mentions joining the Madelyn La Canne 539th American Legion Post for female veterans in Green Bay (Wisconsin). Finally, Pranke reflects on her role as a trailblazer, stating: "I opened a lot of doors and got a lot of second looks" and "you really don't realize what path you're creating until later on in life."
Nuestros veteranos from Wisconsin : Latino veterans, a legacy of valor, honor, and duty to country ( Book )
1 edition published in 2008 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide
The Vietnam Women's Memorial ( Visual )
1 edition published in 1993 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide
Veteran Diane Carlson Evans, a nurse in Vietnam in the late 1960's, visited The Wall, the memorial to Vietnam veterans in Washington, D.C. She felt that the women who served in Vietnam should be honored also. She founded the Vietnam Women's Memorial Project which campaigned to erect a memorial for the women who served in Vietnam. A long, hard fight insued in which many veterans, men and women, participated
Oral history interview with Lawrence W. Kubale by Lawrence W Kubale ( )
1 edition published in 2002 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide
Lawrence "Larry" W. Kubale, Sr., a Reedsville, Wisconsin native, talks about his World War II service in the Army Air Corps as a glider pilot
Oral history interview with Roger S. Boeker by Roger S Boeker ( )
1 edition published in 2003 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide
Roger S. Boeker, a Madison, Wisconsin native, discusses his service with the 3rd Marine Division during the Vietnam War in Da Nang and Phu Bai
Oral history interview with Kenneth Adrian by Kenneth G Adrian ( )
1 edition published in 1996 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide
Kenneth Adrian, a Casseville, Wis. native, discusses his World War II service as a navigator with the 44th Bomb Group in England and his Korean War service as a navigator. When World War II began, Adrian was a student at the mining school in Platteville (Wis.) and talks about the changes the war brought to Platteville including the activation of half of his class with the 32nd Division. Adrian comments on pre-flight training and classification at Kelly Field (Texas), pilot training at Uvalde (Texas), and reclassification as a navigator after being hospitalized for eye problems. He mentions the trip overseas, receiving advice from veteran pilots, and his first mission. Adrian touches upon the emotions of his crew upon learning that the group they shared barracks with had been shot down, feelings toward replacements, and the composition of his crew. He describes military life on the base in England including lack of discipline, recreation activities, and dating. After thirty-five missions, Adrian returned to the U.S. and was trained in preparation for fighting in the South Pacific. He was later discharged and joined the Reserves. Adrian touches upon finishing college using the GI Bill, the importance of navigators to the Air Force, and his service in the Korean War. He evaluates the changes in aircraft from World War II to the Korean War, and the differences between the Royal Air Force and the U.S. Air Force
Oral history interview with Homer Dougan by Homer Dougan ( )
1 edition published in 1999 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide
The Waterloo, Wis. native discusses his World War II service as a member of the 666th Machine Group, assigned to protect the 10th Air Force, stationed in India. Protecting a base near Ledo (India), he comments on guard duty, high number of crashes among the pilots, and living in tents. Dougan recalls good rations, moving heavy equipment without any vehicles, interacting with the native population, and techniques for cooling beer in the hot climate. He also comments on transfer to Burma, repelling a Japanese attack, poor rations, and hospitalization for dengue fever. Transferring to the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), he mentions helping drop supplies to troops in the field, working with Burmese natives, learning the war had ended from a bulletin board notice, and return home
Oral history interview with Don Fellows by Don Fellows ( )
1 edition published in 1995 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide
Donald A. Fellows, a Madison, Wis. native, discusses his service with the Merchant Marines during World War II and the effects of this service on his life. Fellows joined the Merchant Marines against his parent's wishes, and describes joining the war as a way to distance himself from his parents. He provides a sketch of basic training at San Mateo (California) including strict discipline, abandon ship exercises, and his efforts to evade obstacle course training. He tells of attempts to sabotage shipping in San Francisco harbor and provides second-hand accounts of other attempted sabotage in New York harbor and abroad. Fellows details the mission of the Merchant Marines and shipboard life. Injured abroad, he spent time recovering in Madison, and describes the attitudes he encountered toward a young man perceived as not in the Armed Forces. He recounts VE-Day and VJ-Days, watch duty, and trade with Italians. He comments on experiences with Nazis in Uruguay, Mozambique, South Africa, and Argentina. Fellows mentions on his homecoming and comments on the unique status of Merchant Marines who were not allowed veterans' benefits. He recounts the recent recognition of Merchant Marines as World War II veterans and remarks upon the effects of his service and his injury on his acting career
Oral history interview with John Breske, Jr by John Breske ( )
1 edition published in 2004 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide
John Breske, Jr., an Eland, Wisconsin native, discusses his Korean War service in the Marine Corps
Oral history interview with Melvin H. Rickard by Melvin H Rickard ( )
1 edition published in 1999 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide
Melvin Rickard, a Linden, Wisconsin native, discusses his World War II service with the glider unit of the 81st Anti Aircraft Battalion, 101st Airborne Division; he focuses his discussion on the D-Day landing, Operation Market Garden, and his experiences as a prisoner of war. Rickard talks about basic training at Fort Bragg (North Carolina), assignment to a glider unit, the differences between American and English gliders, and training in England in preparation for the invasion of Normandy. He describes the D-Day invasion including Utah Beach landing, taking cover from German aircraft fire, moving inland to take the town of Carentan (France), protecting a bridge under heavy artillery fire, and a close call when a friend was killed. After a furlough in Cornwall (England), Rickard details Operation Market Garden in Holland, including hearing German soldiers talking in the woods, guard duty at night, lack of food because supplies were intercepted by the Germans, hearing the German attack approach, and being unable to communicate with other American and British troops. He tells of surrendering with other American troops, staying with other prisoners of war at a Dutch farm, a visit by German propaganda broadcaster Axis Sally (Mildred Gillars), the packed boxcar ride to Stalag 2B, and interrogation. He touches upon his stay in a German prison including receiving Red Cross packages, exchanging cigarettes for bread and vegetables with the prison guards, having yellow jaundice and an ulcerated tooth, and marching through a blizzard with inadequate shoes as the Russian troops approached. Marching for two and a half months, Rickard recalls the cold, sleeping in barns, becoming familiar with some German civilians, stealing potatoes, and suffering from a bad back and frozen feet. He highlights the importance of Colonel Wallace, a fellow prisoner of war who kept him going. Rickard mentions arriving at Stalag 2A a week before the Russians arrived and the prisoners' decision to stay behind. After liberation, he talks about leaving the camp, scavenging for food and alcohol, and having two Russian soldiers rob him of his wristwatch. After delousing, he remembers being shipped to Camp Lucky Strike (France) and having lunch with General Eisenhower. Rickard mentions playing ping pong at an Army hospital in Macon (Georgia), waiting for enough points to be discharged, and joining the American Legion and Disabled American Veterans. He describes a couple coincidences from his service time, his career afterwards, and his efforts trying to get in touch with his POW friend
Oral history interview with Darrell Krenz by Darrell J Krenz ( )
1 edition published in 2005 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide
Darrell J. Krenz, a McFarland, Wisconsin native, discusses his Korean War service in the Army and his thirty-seven months as a prisoner of war and "Tiger Survivor."
Oral history interview with Lawrence Danielson by Lawrence K Danielson ( )
1 edition published in 2000 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide
Lawrence "Larry" Danielson, a La Crosse, Wisconsin native, discusses his Korean War service as a code specialist working with Chinese and Korean languages as part of the 501st Communication Recon Group, 326th Communications Reconnaissance Company. Danielson relates basic and infantry training in Kansas and code school at Fort Devens (Massachusetts). At code school, he touches on learning Morse code and states he had to listen to Morse code while he slept. He details the types of codes used by the Chinese and Koreans. Sent to Korea, Danielson talks about his equipment, monitoring radio traffic, attacks on his detachment, working behind enemy lines, and periodic rest leaves in Japan. He talks about the Korean and Chinese civilian translators working for him in the field and mentions he was not ever allowed to talk about them. He tells of losing a civilian friend because the civilian was driving a brakeless jeep that he hadn't been warned about. Danielson describes the food and mentions getting frostbitten toes. He comments on the secrecy and fear involved with his job. He touches on his work with the National Security Agency in Arlington (Virginia) where he was given tasks "so he would have something to do until I got out." He speaks of his use of the GI Bill, membership in the VFW and American Legion, and career in teaching
Oral history interview with Victor Adair by Victor Adair ( )
1 edition published in 1999 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide
Victor "Bob" Adair, a Monona, Wisconsin native, discusses his Army service as a medic in post- World War II Germany and service with the 3rd Battalion, 7th Infantry Regiment during the Korean War. He talks about why he volunteered, medical training at Fort Sam Houston (Texas) and caring for World War II veterans in the psychiatric ward of a military hospital in Germany. He touches on socializing with a German family and his hospital duties, which included giving shock therapy. Retrained as a combat medic, Adair was transferred to Korea and details the combat movements of his Infantry unit and an attack by the Chinese near the Yalu River where he was separated from his unit for three days. He comments on Army medical care including treating white phosphorus burns, carrying wounded across active battlefields, caring for a wounded Chinese, and delivering the baby of a Korean woman. He declares there was a shortage of medics because they were too eager to help and often were killed. He relates suffering phosphorus burns, pneumonia, and a bayonet cut on his hand that he sewed up himself. Adair speaks of the survival techniques developed by combat medics, news reporters looking for stories at the front line, discharge from service, work at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Madison (Wisconsin), and quitting the Veterans of Foreign Wars
Oral history interview with Robert L. Beilman by Robert L Beilman ( )
1 edition published in 2001 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide
Robert Beilman, a New York City native, discusses his World War II Army experiences which include several anecdotal stories. Beilman recalls being at a New York Giants football game the day Pearl Harbor was bombed and an announcement being made for all present active military to immediately report to their bases. He enlisted in the ASTP (Army Specialized Training Program), studied engineering at Syracuse University (New York), and following radio communication school, was assigned to C Company, 1st Battalion of the 242nd Regiment, 42nd Division. Beilman talks about meeting his parents on pass prior to departing for Marseilles on the SS General William S. Black. While on duty in Marseilles, he describes the patrols and several air raids. As a communications sergeant, Beilman discusses his use of call-signs, radios, walkie-talkies, and stringing wire to outposts. Beilman describes preparing for patrols, dangers they encountered while on patrol, and dangers they faced. Beilman relates a story of capturing a German soldier in France. Beilman describes fighting the Germans in a typical French village. He talks about his battalion being surrounded at the battle of Hatton in the Northern part of Alsace to which Beilman credits the 79th Division for rescuing them. Beilman describes battling German tanks and their tactics. Participating in night patrols, Beilman recounts the need for excellent night vision and describes the numerous ways soldiers could be spotted by producing the smallest amount of light. Beilman describes the engagement he led resulting in him receiving the Bronze Star. He relates the story of General McOlive giving the order to drive up to Brenner Pass with lights on. Beilman attended Fordham and Columbia University upon his return to the United States using the GI Bill. After completing medical school, he chose to settle in Madison (Wisconsin)
Oral history interview with Ervin Sartell by E. J Sartell ( )
1 edition published in 2002 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide
Ervin J. "Doc" Sartell, Jr., a Janesville, Wisconsin native, discusses his National Guard and Army service before and during World War II and the Korean War, including duty in the 32nd Infantry Division and the Americal Division. Sartell talks about the World War II service of his father, Ervin Sartell, Sr., who served as an officer with the 32nd Division in France. He describes his father's efforts to reorganize the 121st Fuel Artillery Band in Janesville and his own activities as band mascot from 1930 to 1936. At age sixteen, Sartell speaks of joining the National Guard in 1938, his pay rate, and the federalization of his unit in 1940. He describes living in a tent city and training at Camp Beauregard (Louisiana), using World War I-era equipment, having to purchase his own boots, and staying on the base over Christmas to guard the equipment against sabotage. In the summer of 1941, Sartell speaks of participating in the Louisiana maneuvers: becoming a regimental mail sergeant, making money by reselling whiskey, entering a bar filled with "enemy" soldiers, and seeing snakes and alligators during a monsoon. He tells of losing his furlough after the attack on Pearl Harbor, the reorganization of the 32nd Division, and taking a village fighting course at Fort Riley (Kansas). Shipped overseas to the Americal Division at Caledonia, he tells of jungle training, transfer to a defense platoon at Bougainville, and recalibrating a new weapon at "Million Dollar Hill" after losing his equipment in a tent fire. Sartell mentions having duty guarding prisoners, patrolling, and stationing a listening post. He details being on an Army football team that played against a Marine team to boost morale. Sartell talks about relieving the 32nd Infantry Division in the Philippines and duty as a squad leader during the invasion of Sibu Island. He comments on unloading LSTs under fire, being shot at by a sniper, invading the island of Negros, and escorting twenty body bags back to Sibu. He describes preparing for the invasion of Japan and celebrating on August 10th after hearing a false rumor that the war was over. Sartell speaks of invading an airfield on Yokohama, taking souvenirs from a warehouse, and watching Japanese movies at a Japanese theater. He details his interactions with Japanese civilians and characterizes them as surprisingly friendly. Sartell touches on looting a warehouse of beer, taking money from a safe, and being shipped back to the States for discharge at Fort McCoy. He talks about his civilian career and joining the 84th Reserve Division. Sartell portrays his shock when he was recalled for the Korean War and shipped back to Japan. Assigned as a recon platoon sergeant, he states the first sad thing that happened in Korea was that a truck in his unit hit and killed a little girl. He mentions seeing combat at Yong Dong Po, stringing barbed wire along the 38th Parallel, being injured twice, and being shipped home ten months after his arrival. Sartell highlights the number of World War II veterans who were recalled to service when the Korean War started. He details his homecoming from the Korean War: not having a place to live, discovering friends didn't know he had been serving in Korea, and the frustration of having to start over his life a second time. Sartell comments on the average age of the men in his units, describes beach landing in an LST at Leyte and Sibu, and portrays the beauty and noise of naval gun bombardments. During World War II, he mentions injuring his knee while unloading tents. He speaks of his father's use of Army connections to try to stop his son from being shipped to Korea. In the Philippines, Sartell mentions adopting a couple of puppies but being ordered to dispose of them after they got worms. He reflects on one of his friend's getting killed on a night patrol and another friend's excitement after getting a "million dollar wound." Sartell comments on being surprised by a Filipino guerilla unit at a listening post, accidentally putting the base on alert when he took a potshot at an animal, stealing alcohol during a transportation detail, and drinking homemade whiskey. He states there was a lot of boredom, which is why the men did crazy things. Sartell talks about buying food from civilians, eating fresh coconuts cut down by Filipinos on his work detail, protecting Japanese prisoners of war from Filipinos natives, and and his getting in trouble for killing a big snake
Oral history interview with Kenneth C. Ossmann by Kenneth C Ossmann ( )
1 edition published in 2001 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide
Kenneth Ossmann, a Janesville, Wisconsin native, discusses his World War II service with the Air Corps as a pilot with the 16th Bomb Group, 20th Air Force in the Pacific Theater
Oral history interview with Winter S. Hess by Winter S Hess ( )
1 edition published in 2001 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide
Winter Hess, an Auburn, Wisconsin veteran, discusses his Vietnam War service monitoring enemy lines with the Army. He talks about getting his induction delayed until the end of deer season, basic and advanced infantry training at Fort Ord (California), officer training at Fort Sill (Oklahoma), attempting to decline a commission, being given an artillery military occupation specialty even though he demonstrated a "lack of commitment," and ground sensor operator training school at Fort Huachuca (Arizona). As a passive ground sensor monitor he was part of McNamara's Line and the "Igloo White" project and he comments on the types and positions of sensors and calling artillery fire based on the sensors. Hess also mentions flying over the "I" Corps area with the Air Force, flying with Marines to drop sensors from 100 feet off the ground, and going on bombing runs with Air Force pilots to monitor sensors. Stationed at Chu Lai, he comments on being under rocket attacks and rifle fire and taking cover in fox holes. He recalls his last three months as non-commissioned officer in charge of Hawk Hill firebase's sensor team assisting the 198th Infantry Brigade. Hess provides a detailed account of several missions including one where an engine failed, another where his plane almost flew into an Arc Light B-52 strike, and another where the pilot became lost and they ended up over the South China Sea
Oral history interview with James H. Bohstedt by James H Bohstedt ( )
1 edition published in 1995 in English and held by 1 WorldCat member library worldwide
Bohstedt, a Madison, Wis. native, discusses his World War II and Korean War service with the 4th Signal Company, 4th Marine Division, and service with the Reserves. Bohstedt describes basic training at San Diego (California), radar training in Utah, and field signal school at Camp Elliot (California). He relates repairing radios during the campaigns for Saipan, Tinian, and Iwo Jima. He touches upon daily life, both while the 4th Marines regrouped in Maui, and in the Pacific islands. Bohstedt also comments on the atomic bomb decision, post-war duty in Sasebo (Japan), and the difference between the Japanese people he encountered and the way they were described by the military. He mentions his return home, use of the GI Bill, and veterans on the UW-Madison campus. After college graduation, Bohstedt joined the Meritorious NCO Program and was called into Korean War service as a first lieutenant. He talks about his Korean War service inspecting a Korean Marine Corps unit and opinions Marines held of the Korean War. He remained active in the Marine Corps Reserves for many years
moreShow More Titles
fewerShow Fewer Titles
Audience Level
Audience Level
  Kids General Special  
Audience level: 0.03 (from 0.00 for Wisconsin ... to 0.47 for The Vietna ...)
Alternative Names

controlled identity Wisconsin. Department of Veterans Affairs

Wisconsin. Department of Veterans Affairs. Wisconsin Veterans Museum
Wisconsin. Veterans Museum
English (35)