WorldCat Identities

Wisconsin Veterans Museum

Works: 938 works in 969 publications in 1 language and 975 library holdings
Genres: Personal narratives‡vAmerican  History  Personal narratives  Military history  Examinations 
Publication Timeline
Most widely held works about Wisconsin Veterans Museum
moreShow More Titles
fewerShow Fewer Titles
Most widely held works by Wisconsin Veterans Museum
Wisconsin at war( Book )

2 editions published in 2014 in English and held by 3 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

Oral history interview with Ernest H. Tresch by Ernest H Tresch( )

3 editions published between 1995 and 2007 in English and held by 3 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

Ernest Tresch, a Fleming, Ohio native, describes his World War II experience with the Army Air Corps as a combat pilot in North Africa and Southern Europe and as a pilot for General Eisenhower. Tresch talks about enlisting through the Aviation Cadet program and training in Texas and at MacDill Field (Florida). He talks about bombing targets, air defenses, and the effectiveness of his missions. Tresch describes memorable missions in Palermo (Sicily) and Rome (Italy). He characterizes his crew and declares he did not like flying B26s at first but grew to love them. Tresch addresses feelings of tension and the few recreation options on the base. He speaks of getting time on four-engine planes and flying "Crescent Airlines," which ran supplies overseas and took wounded back home. He portrays getting an offer over the phone to interview for General Eisenhower's crew and meeting him in Frankfort (Germany). Tresch talks about flying the General to the States to be appointed Chief of Staff, on an inspection tour of the Pacific, and on a reception-heavy goodwill tour to Rio de Janeiro (Brazil). He comments on General Eisenhower's travling companions and what he chatted about with the pilots. After the General left to claim presidency of Columbia University, Tresch mentions transferring to the 1st Special Air Mission Squadron and flying VIPs out of Bowling Field (Washington). After leaving the service, he talks about working as a pilot and then as a manager for the Marietta Concrete Corporation and its divisions. Tresch mentions joining the American Legion for social reasons and maintaining contact with other members of his crew
Oral history interview with Robert Graves by Robert Graves( )

2 editions published between 2002 and 2004 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

Robert B. Graves, a Webster, South Dakota native, discusses his service in a Raider company during the Korean War. After enlisting in 1948 and boot camp in Kentucky, he talks about assignment to occupation duty in Tokyo (Japan). Graves talks about working with a supply company on the waterfront and playing sports like flag football. He addresses growing up near Taliesin, his connection to Frank Lloyd Wright, and his activities in relation to the Imperial Hotel (Tokyo). After hearing about the invasion by North Korea on the radio, Graves states he volunteered for a new Raider company. He details being trained at Camp McGill (Kanagawa) by British ex-commandoes and his amphibious invasion of and retreat from Kunsan. Graves tells of later discovering his unit's role as a sacrificial diversion from the Inchon Invasion and their nonexistence on official paperwork until January of 1951. After some burials at sea, he talks about spending a few days at "Ashcan City" on the outskirts of Kimpo Airport before being sent to North Korea as an anti-guerrilla force attached to the X Army Corps Headquarters. Graves comments on appropriating equipment, advancing towards the Yalu River, getting strafed by friendly fire, and being evacuated from Hamhung. Evacuated to Pusan, he states he got in some of the worst fights during the next northward advance. He talks about burning down a few villages, firefights with North Korean soldiers, and becoming a smoker. Graves states he was on the front line for seven straight months and recalls passing through a beautiful valley that reminded him of home. He discusses a reconnaissance mission with five other men, fishing with grenades, and mutually deciding not to engage in a firefight during an encounter with a North Korean patrol. He reflects on loss of life during the war, differentiating between Chinese and North Korean troops, the Army's inadequate supplies for cold weather, and being cheered up one day by the mention of his hometown on the radio. Graves details the battle during which he earned his silver star: being surrounded, seeing wounded evacuated by helicopter, taking cover in a schoolhouse, and thinking he would not survive the fight. He mentions having difficulty remembering some of his time in Korea and recalls being issued a quart of liquor every week. He touches on living on C-rations, stealing food, and seeing displaced civilians on the roads. He tells of being relieved by a second Raider company, his homecoming, and attending a company reunion. He reflects on the unawareness of the war he encountered in the United States after he returned. In Korea, he talks about getting food packages from his mother and eating them in the woods so he wouldn't have to share. He touches on contact with other United Nations forces and details the food and rum rations he had on a British frigate
Oral history interview with Roger Hallingstad by Roger Hallingstad( )

2 editions published between 2002 and 2006 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

Roger Hallingstad, a Sparta, Wisconsin, native, discusses his Air Force service as an aviation mechanic in Japan during the Korean War and in French Indochina (now Vietnam) at the end for the First Indochina War. Hallingstad touches upon his 1948 enlistment in the Wisconsin National Guard and his subsequent enlistment in the Air Force in 1951. He outlines his training that included basic at Mac Dill Air Force Base (Florida), aircraft and engine school at Sheppard Air Force Base (Texas), and temporary duty working on engines at Chanute Field (Illinois). He recounts that he volunteered for overseas duty in Japan and ended up in Tachikawa Air Force Base in Japan supervising Japanese aviation mechanics. He tells that they put B-51s, C-47s, and B26s into storage as they flew in from Korea and reconditioned them in a former WWII Zero factory for sale to other countries. In January 1954, he was abruptly relocated, ending up in French Indochina at the Do Son Air Base near Hai Phong. He describes their landing; how he thought they were going to run off the end of the runway and looked out to see anti-aircraft guns, jeeps with machine guns, and men with weapons. "Man, what are we getting into here?" He continues with their jeep trip to the air base; common barracks with French Legionnaires, Senegalese Army troops, the French Air Force, and U.S. volunteers; and the Communist action the night before, in anticipation of their arrival, which resulted in the blowing up of some aircraft and poisoning of the security dogs. Stating they had weapons, but no ammunition, Hallingstad describes their work schedule in instructing French Air Force mechanics to repair C-47s as influenced by the heat so that they worked in the early morning and evening. He was there for three months until the French surrendered to the Communists. He briefly tells of U.S. civilian pilots flying U.S. Air Force planes, repainted in the French tricolor, doing supply drops. He says that they drank canned water and canned food and tells a story of getting a large walk-in cooler from the Philippines that was stocked with fresh meat, only to have the compressor quite and the doctor say that they could not eat it. He describes Hai Phong as a beautiful city with gorgeous homes and wrought iron fences, but that they were not allowed into the city without somebody with them because people would disappear, murdered. He recounts his return to the States, using the GI bill to start college at the University of Wisconsin, quitting college due to marriage and family, and his work for Remington Rand and Baraboo Sysco Foods. The interview continues with discussion of his family life, cancer, volunteer work at the EAA Air Show in Oshkosh, Camp American Legion in Tomahawk, and description of his service time in Japan. He describes a C-124 Globe Master plane crash in a rice paddy with American GIs, the Japanese mechanics he worked with, and climbing Mount Fujiyama. He concludes the interview with a memory about selling newspapers through the barracks at Fort Snelling in Minnesota as a kid
Oral history interview with Robert F. Feller by Robert L Feller( )

2 editions published between 1999 and 2002 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

Robert F. Feller, a Verona, Wisconsin native, discusses his Navy service during World War II, including his experiences during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Feller talks about enlisting in the Navy, boot camp and radio school at Great Lakes (Illinois), and assignment to the USS Oglala, a mine ship based at Pearl Harbor (Hawaii). He states his job entailed maintenance work on teletypes and code machines. Feller touches on doing mine sweeping maneuvers, spotting Japanese submarines, and picking up a load of mines and TNT the day before the Pearl Harbor attack. He details his experiences on December 7th, 1941: recognizing incoming Japanese airplanes, seeing the nearby USS Helena get hit by a torpedo, and abandoning ship when the concussion of the explosion broke his ship's seams. Feller states his ship "tipped over on the side right next to the dock and we crawled off--didn't even get wet." He discusses his state of mind and the sights he saw from the docks, including sailors swimming through oil burning on the water. He describes his view of the base and harbor activity in the days after the attack. Feller states he couldn't do more than send a pre-printed postcard to his family saying, "I'm okay," and the rumors his family heard that he had lost a leg to sharks. After a six-month stay at the submarine base, Feller speaks of moving into a new bomb-proof building. He talks about cleaning and repairing code machines for the Commander in Chief, Pacific Fleet (CINC-PAC), and he characterizes Admiral Nimitz. Feller describes the code room, communications methods from headquarters, and security measures. He talks about carrying gas masks into town during the years after the attack. He recalls revisiting Hawaii on the 50th reunion, portrays the layout of the harbor, and remembers thinking the Japanese were going to invade the island the night after the attack. Feller mentions recreation at Kahala (Hawaii). Discharged in December of 1945, he talks about attending vocational school, his career as an electrician, and being in the Naval Reserves until 1969
Oral history interview with Donald Shaul by Donald R Shaul( )

2 editions published in 2003 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

Shaul, a Deerfield, Wis. veteran, discusses his World War ll service with the United States Navy Seabees as a gunner on a merchant ship. Shaul talks about joining the Navy in 1941 when he was sixteen to make money during the Great Depression. He relates his travels to South Africa, Iran, Iraq, and Sao Miguel Island. He discusses the sinking of the Julia Ward Howe in 1943, the new merchant ship hauling cargo to Oran (Africa) that the crew had boarded only thirteen days earlier. Sunk by a German U-boat, Shaul tells of the deaths of his captain and crewmates and ties this to his later post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Following the ship's SOS distress signal, Shaul tells of the rescue by the Portuguese Navy on the N.R.R. Lima. He relates how the Lima was overloaded and had to drop the Americans off on San Miguel Island where the Germans took them prisoner. He comments that the Germans imprisoned the surviving crew of the Julia Ward Howe, keeping them in a convent as "men of war" before releasing them six months later. Shaul relates how the Portuguese picked them up on the Nyasa. After an R & R leave; Shaul comments on his travels to Tinian, Saipan, Guam, and the Marianas as part of a Landing Invasion Operational Navy (LION) unit. He reveals how he contracted dengue fever. Shaul tells about running a LCVP (Landing Craft Vehicle) and picking up the 3rd Marines, the 77th Army, and the 56th Seabees. Shaul returned to Madison and joined the VFW and American Legion. He finishes the interview by telling family stories from his childhood living in the Greenbush neighborhood in Madison, Wis
Oral history interview with David Murray by David Murray( )

2 editions published in 2014 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

In this oral history interview, David Murray, born and raised in Tomah, Wisconsin, discusses his varied military service of over twenty six years as a combat medic and Registered Nurse (RN), including two overseas deployments with Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom. Murray discusses growing up in Tomah, Wisconsin and the military involvement of his father and brothers. Murray tells when and why he joined the National Guard in 1986 at age thirty-one. He shares reflections on basic training at Fort Leonard Wood including drill sergeants and facilities. After finishing basic training, he went to Fort Sam Houston for combat medic training and he describes the program, what he learned, and camp conditions. He reflects on his years serving as a part-time Guardsman, completing a degree in Nursing, receiving a scholarship from the Veterans Health Administration, and working into management at the William S. Middleton Veterans Hospital, Madison (Wisconsin). Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan had an opening for a nurse in early 2007 and Murray accepted, serving just over seven months. Murray discusses his deployment, including reflections on living conditions, other medical staff, and the experience of the war itself. Murray reflects on difficulties he experienced such as loneliness and lack of support from being a "onesie." He discusses the types of individuals and injuries he and his staff handled at the field hospital, working conditions, and the experience of leaving Afghanistan and returning home. In 2009 Murray was deployed to Operation Iraqi Freedom. He reflects on the experience of managing twenty five to thirty hospital staff contact with his family, what types of combat injuries he and his staff handled, the facilities, what he did with any downtime, and observations on the lack of the mental health component of returning soldiers. Murray reflects on his own struggles with his emotions, the value of resilience training offered by the military, reflections on his four daughters serving in military conflict and what motivated them to join the military, advantages of making military service compulsory after high school graduation, advice he gives to individuals curious about the pluses and minuses of serving in the military, and reflections on the pride he experienced serving in his various military roles, including receiving an Army Commendation Medal
Oral history interview with Matthew J. Diker by Matthew J Diker( )

2 editions published in 2003 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

The Saukville, Wis. veteran discusses his Cold War service as a medical corpsman with the Navy serving in Italy. He talks about his reasons for choosing the Navy, boot camp and corpsman school at Great Lakes (Illinois), duty at the naval hospital in Pennsylvania, and assisting in surgery. Transferred to a naval support facility in Naples (Italy), he comments on living off-base with his wife, extended duty due to the construction of the Berlin Wall, outbreak of the Vietnam War, assisting in surgery, and lack of supplies. Diker touches upon his impressions of Italy, attitudes toward American servicemen, post-war work in Milwaukee, and entering the printing field
Oral history interview with Darrell J. Krenz by Darrell J Krenz( )

2 editions published between 2000 and 2005 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

Former Korean War prisoner of war and "Tiger Survivor" Darrell Krenz discusses his military service and POW experiences. Krenz, a Columbus, Wis. native, tells about duty in Japan; his combat on the front line in Korea as a bazooka operator and sniper-scope gunner with the 34th Regiment, 24th Infantry Division; and the equipment his unit used. Taken prisoner by the notorious Korean officer dubbed, "The Tiger," Krenz details how he was taken prisoner including attempting to run, being wounded, white phosphorus burns, and treatment by his captors. He describes the march to prison camp without shoes, lack of food and drinking water, and being joined by captured missionaries. Krenz speaks of life at the Mampo prison camp including problems of cold, lack of food, and poor medical care. He provides an interesting discussion about his survival techniques as a POW mentioning taking clothing from deceased soldiers. Krenz comments on his feelings toward soldiers who turned on fellow prisoners to receive extra food or other favors from their captors. He mentions taking classes about Communism and being offered the opportunity to remain in North Korea after the war and the reaction to several prisoners who decided to remain. He touches upon emotions felt by the prisoners when liberated, illness, and his hospital stay in Japan after he was released. Discussed briefly are the coded lists of prisoners' death dates and other information about what happened in camp kept by Krenz. He comments on joining the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars as well as his work with the Tiger Survivors organization
Nuestros veteranos from Wisconsin : Latino veterans, a legacy of valor, honor, and duty to country( Book )

1 edition published in 2008 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

Oral history interview with Diana L. Donald by Diana L Donald( Recording )

1 edition published in 2019 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

In this oral history interview, Diana L. Donald, from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, describes her service with the U.S. Navy from 1985 to 1989 including her service aboard the USS Gompers
Oral history interview with John A. Webb by John (Jack) A Webb( )

2 editions published in 1999 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

John "Jack" A. Webb, a Durand, Wisconsin native, discusses his career in the Air Force, including service in Asia during the Vietnam War and the Cold War. Webb mentions his family's military history, enlisting in 1954, and his military training, including work with radar and with electronic countermeasure systems for B-47s. He touches on volunteering for Combat Control, going through jump school, and joining a team at Hurlburt Field (Florida) in 1963. Webb outlines his career and states he served in Laos and Nakhon Phanom (Thailand) between 1964 and 1966, as well as in Korea and in Japan after the USS Pueblo Incident. He discusses taking different types of Special Forces training, including jungle survival in Panama and infiltrating a CIA base. He speaks of "Operation Water Pump/Project 404": living at Vang Pao's secret headquarters at Long Tieng (Laos), duties as an air controller working in conjunction with the Laos military, and officially being a member of the U.S. Embassy rather than an Air Force employee. Webb expresses regret that when he went to Laos, little was known about Hmong culture and everyone called the Hmong a derogatory term without knowing better. He compares working with Hmong soldiers and Royal Lao Army soldiers. At Udorn (Thailand) in 1964, Webb describes living at CIA-operated airline facilities and their quick conversion to military bases after the Gulf of Tonkin incident. He touches on going on some ambushes with Hmong guerilla soldiers, getting attacked by Russian tanks, and being held back by American policy, such as not being allowed to use napalm in Laos. Webb highlights some dysfunctional relationships with officers from other U.S. military branches and reflects on his two-person, enlisted-men team being replaced by a bigger unit composed of officers. He explains how targets were set, the fluid nature of his resources, and difficulties caused by the rules of engagement. He describes attending Vang Pao's house parties and participating in a Hmong cultural ceremony at a village. Webb talks about sponsoring Hmong immigrants in the United States. He comments on daily life and a typical duty day. Webb details doing an emergency landing after having his airplane's battery shot and getting the plane restarted afterwards. He characterizes the men in his unit, relates an uneventful homecoming, and states he wore his uniform in the early 1970s as a recruiter in Green Bay (Wisconsin) and never encountered a problem with protesters. After his retirement, Webb talks about using the GI Bill to attend college, shares his frustration about the difficulties he has witnessed Hmong immigrants face, and highlights the contribution of the Hmong people to the war effort. He touches on his membership in the VFW and the American Legion China Post 1 (exiled out of Shanghai)
Oral history interview with Robert E. Clampitt by Robert E Clampitt( )

2 editions published in 2000 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

Robert E. Clampitt, a Cross Plains, Wisconsin resident, discusses his career with the Army spanning the Korean, Cold, and Vietnam Wars. Clampitt was born in Terre Haute, Indiana and graduated high school in Madison, Wisconsin in 1946. He states he tried to enlist in the Army when he turned 18, but the military made him wait until he finished high school. He declares that his intention to join the Army was to later qualify for the GI Bill and go to college. He reports that he was sent to Fort McClellan [Alabama] for basic training and then to Fort Riley [Kansas] for Intelligence School. Soon after he describes being deployed to Italy along the Isonzo River with the 88th Division, Company K, 350th Infantry. Clampitt recounts being sent there because of tensions along the border with Yugoslavs. He also describes some of the grim living conditions that Italian civilians faced after World War II. After a year in Italy, Clampitt reports being discharged and coming back to Madison where he joined the Army Reserve as part of the 84th Airborne Division. Before going off to jump school and getting his parachute wings at Fort Benning [Georgia], Clampitt mentions he got married. When the Korean War broke out, Clampitt speaks of his decision to volunteer to active duty with the regular Army. After being sent to Camp Atterbury [Indiana[, Clampitt talks about heading to Korea with the 24th Division where he served as Staff Sergeant and was assigned to guarding prisoners. After his enlistment in Korea was finished, Clampitt reveals that he re-enlisted for the 25th Division, "'cause they were goin' to Hawaii ... and that seemed like a better place than South Korea." Clampitt recalls many of his experiences at Schofield Barracks [Hawaii] from 1954 to 1956, including having his second child, training on the side of a volcano, and how his Division was used in the 1956 film "Between Heaven and Hell". Clampitt describes getting a job as an instructor through the non-commissioned officer academy until he went home. From this training, Clampitt states he was able to get a job as a ROTC instructor at the University of Illinois-Chicago. He reflects on how much he enjoyed teaching American military history and how much he felt like a faculty member. He touches upon the differences between that teaching assignment and a later experience at the University of Wisconsin. He briefly touches upon a three-month training through the Mountain Warfare School at Camp Hale [Colorado]. He provides some anecdotes of using mules to carry equipment up the mountain. Clampitt explains that he re-enlisted for six years in 1960 and was sent to Germany with the 24th Division. He describes his recon patrol along the Berlin Wall and recalls his impression of dealing with the East Germans. He recounts one particular experience of spotting a Russian soldier near the Brandenburg Gate. He briefly mentions traveling around Germany during his time there with his wife and family. By the time he left Germany, Clampitt states he had become Sergeant First Class. Clampitt mentions that he had tried several times to volunteer to go to Vietnam while still in Germany, and in 1965 he states he was given orders to attend Special Warfare School to prepare for Vietnam. He talks about the training at Fort Bragg [North Carolina] before heading to Vietnam as a ranger battalion in the 3rd Corps where he called in air strikes via radio. Next, he describes working at the 3rd Corps Tactical Operations Center as a Non-Commissioned Officer-In-Charge (NCOIO). He speaks of keeping track of the situation map along with American and Vietnamese officers. Clampitt talks about how his tour ended short because his wife was involved in a serious auto accident and touches on dealing with the recovery. He states that was re-assigned to the University of Wisconsin as an Operations Center Sergeant, where he states he was treated like a second-class citizen. Clampitt illustrates the atmosphere on campus during the Vietnam protests and riots, especially towards police officers and military personnel. After his wife was able to recover, Clampitt tells of his return to Vietnam in 1968. He states he served as an advisor to the Regional Forces Popular Forces (RFPF) and was sent to the Mekong Delta, which according to Clampitt was a particularly dangerous place. He laughs while remembering what he told his wife before he left: "If I write back and tell you I'm in the Delta, call the insurance man and tell him to start the paperwork and just wait for the date." Clampitt provides a sketch of the region in 1968 and illustrates some of the frustration and difficulties of working with the RFPF. "When they were good, they were very, very good, and when they were bad they were horrid" he says of the RFPF. Clampitt reveals one particularly scary incident of being out with the Popular Force one night and having the feeling that they would turn him and another officer over to the VC before the night was over. He describes how the incident started when one of the PF soldiers stole a captain's pistol. Before things got out of hand, Clampitt says he pretended to be on the radio to a ship that was close by that he describes as "spooky" to the PF soldiers, which prevented them from turning on them. He recounts what happened next: "We went to the colonel the next day ... and said 'We recommend that no more Americans go to this, to help with this platoon. And furthermore, we both refuse to go out.' He said 'What if I order you to go out?' I said 'We will both refuse.'" Clampitt goes on to give his opinion on the North Vietnamese Soldiers and recalls some of his observation missions. He points out an incident where he found a 500-pound bomb and describes how the cheap wrist watch to set it off did not work. Clampitt also recalls encounters with the actor Jimmy Stewart and General Abrams. He describes the food and weather in Vietnam. Clampitt finished his tour in 1969, and states he was sent back to Fort Riley [Kansas] and was promoted to 1st Sergeant. He tells that he stayed there for two years before deciding to retire, stating his reason being he did not want to go on for a third tour of Vietnam. He then recounts his life after retiring from the Army, how he came back to civilian life in Sun Prairie, getting a job as the Chief of Police in Cross Plains, and becoming involved in the American Legion
Oral history interview with Yolanda Medina by Yolanda Medina( Recording )

1 edition published in 2019 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

In this oral history interview, Yolanda L. Medina, a native of Waukesha, Wisconsin, discusses her service as an aircraft technician in the Marine Corps from July 1981 to August 1985 including her service with the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing, VMAT-203 in Cherry Point, North Carolina; the Military and Veterans Service Office at Carroll College
Oral history interview with Donald Collins by Donald E Collins( )

2 editions published in 2002 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

Donald E. Collins, a Sunbury, Pennsylvania native, discusses his World War II service as a radio striker aboard the USS Finback, a Navy submarine, serving in the Pacific Ocean. Collins talks about graduating from high school early, enlisting, and being turned down from a Navy bombing squadron and a Marine parachute unit because he was too light-weight. He talks about boot camp at Sampson (New York), radio school at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, learning Morse code, and volunteering for submarine service. He describes the testing he underwent prior to submarine duty including aptitude tests, psychological examinations, pressure tests, and a Mommsen Lung escape technique test. Collins touches upon additional training in encryption, sound gear operation, and how to handle any other crew member's job in an emergency. He characterizes Admiral Charles Lockwood and the officer who ran the submarine base, Chief Torpedoman Charles Spritz. Collins touches on volunteering to handle meat aboard a troop ship and being aboard a Fulton sub tender during a fire. Collins mentions assignment to the USS Finback (SS-230) at Midway Island. He describes his first patrol in the China Sea, shooting and exploding mines, sinking Japanese ships, and two weeks of rest at Majuro (Marshall Islands). He discusses qualification testing and his duties as a radioman, lookout, sound equipment operator, and Radio Direction Finder operator. Collins talks about hunting oil tankers off Iwo Jima and expecting air support that didn't come, and he mentions scouting Truk Island. He tells of being shot at by an American destroyer, techniques used by the Japanese Navy involving sampans to lure submarines for attack, and hearing depth charges approach the sub. Collins touches upon military life including the relationship between officers and enlisted men, drinking alcohol distilled aboard the submarine from "torpedo juice," receiving a brandy ration when the ship was under heavy fire, staying at Hawaiian hotels between missions, and eating free dinner at a Hawaiian restaurant. He describes air-sea rescue procedures and tells of pilots who were afraid of the submarine. While patrolling near Chichi Jima, the Finback rescued a downed Navy pilot (President George Bush) and he talks about being shipboard with Bush for about three weeks. After the war, Collins touches on joining the Navy Reserves, attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison on the GI Bill, working in an intelligence unit in the basement of a professor at the University of Wisconsin, marrying a woman from Madison, meeting George Bush when he ran for president, and pursuing a career in criminal justice. Collins states he resisted joining veteran's organizations because he didn't want them to influence his job, but he was made commander of the VFW for two years while helping them solve money-theft problems
The Vietnam Women's Memorial( Visual )

1 edition published in 1993 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

Veteran Diane Carlson Evans, a nurse in Vietnam in the late 1960's, visited The Wall, the memorial to Vietnam veterans in Washington, D.C. She felt that the women who served in Vietnam should be honored also. She founded the Vietnam Women's Memorial Project which campaigned to erect a memorial for the women who served in Vietnam. A long, hard fight insued in which many veterans, men and women, participated
Oral history interview with Sterling W. Schallert by Sterling W Schallert( )

2 editions published between 1995 and 1999 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

Sterling W. Schallert, a Sullivan, Wisconsin native, discusses his Navy service aboard 1st 465 in the Southwest Pacific during World War II. Schallert touches on getting a deferment to finish his undergraduate degree at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and enlisting in the Navy's V7 program in Chicago. He discusses his month of preliminary training at the University of Notre Dame and three months of midshipman training at Abbott Hall (Chicago), and he characterizes his officers and the other ensigns. Sent to the Naval Training Base in San Diego, he speaks of having special training and waiting for the LSTs (Landing Ship, Tanks) at the Kaiser shipyard to be finished. Schallert portrays living in wartime San Diego with his wife, including playing football and finding an apartment. He comments on seeing his 1st commissioned, the insufficient number of guns aboard, getting the ship prepared, and sailing to Australia with an understaffed crew. Schallert recalls being escorted by Australian destroyers and seeing his first action when nearby ships were torpedoed. He evaluates the capabilities, durability, and versatility of LSTs. Schallert discusses his duty as stores officer, including being responsible for food and ammunition supplies, and he states the only equipment he had difficulty obtaining were battle talker helmets and a certain auxiliary engine piece. He describes the Australian food supplies they used and the relief of getting American food later in the war. Schallert relates the positive relations between Australian and American troops and between the different American military branches his ship transported. He discusses having mail delays, getting books from the States through a book club, and stashing Coca-Cola aboard that he bought in Australia. Schallert details the operations his ship participated in: dropping the 60th Seabees at Woodlark and Kiriwina (Solomon Islands), transporting dangerous gasoline, having to sit out the Lae landing due to ship damage, bringing 1st Division Marines to Cape Gloucester (New Britain), landing in the Admiralty Islands, and seeing one of his officers shot by a sniper at Hollandia. (New Guinea). Schallert describes the detailed plan books read by the officers and the procedure during a typical landing. After unloading, he talks about searching the beaches for souvenirs and collecting Japanese parachutes and propaganda on Hollandia. He recounts his luck in missing out on the fierce landing at Biak due to more ship mechanical problems and shares his impressions of the growing fierceness of Japanese resistance. Schallert mentions being impressed by 1st Cavalry loading techniques, getting to know officers from the units they transported, and trading Navy canned fruit for Army C-rations. He discusses morale aboard ship, lacking air cover, and witnessing his first kamikaze attack on an Australian cruiser. Schallert comments on having limited recreation opportunities, seeing the Japanese airplanes at the air base on Hollandia, playing basketball on the tank deck against other 1st crews, and getting a beer ration. He states he was tired and lost weight, but his crew did not have problems with psychological breakdowns, tropical diseases, or liquor. He touches on meeting football-player Harry Stella and the South Pacific native who saved his life. Schallert talks about trading clothing for chickens with Filipino natives. He details receiving orders to be rotated back to the States, assignment as a training officer to Morro Bay (California), and promotion to first lieutenant of the base. Schallert recalls the reactions on VJ Day, driving around a tough area of San Francisco with the Shore Patrol, and calling the police to arrest an ex-Navy man. He reflects on the fanaticism and kamikaze tactics of the Japanese and declares that using the atomic bomb saved lives by making an invasion of Japan unnecessary. After his discharge, he discusses returning to law school at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Schallert comments on having classes full of returning veterans, the more serious attitudes of veteran students, being treated with more respect by professors, and using the GI Bill and a state program for educational finances. He recalls his easy readjustment after his homecoming and his recent involvement with the 1st Association. He highlights the importance of LSTs and amphibious forces to the war effort and wishes to see them get more credit
Oral history interview with Clifford Syverud by Clifford S Syverud( )

2 editions published between 2001 and 2003 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

Clifford Syverud, a Black Earth, Wis. native, discusses his World War II service as a radio operator abroad a B-24 bomber with the 701st Bomb Squadron of the 8th Air Force. Syverud talks about radio school at Truax Field (Wisconsin), gunnery school (Utah), crew formation, and trip overseas. He relates information about his unit which was lead by actor Jimmy Stewart, bombing Kiel (Germany), and attacking submarines at Calais (France). He describes the mission to Leipzig (Germany) when his plane was shot down including bailing from his aircraft, being taken prisoner by German soldiers, interrogation, and trip to Stalag Luft IV. He details life in a prisoner of war camp, talking about food, Red Cross parcels, the 600-mile march west as Russian forces approached, and release by British paratroopers. He mentions return to the United States and medical problems stemming from his POW experience. Syverud briefly discusses his participation in veterans' organizations like the American Legion and the Badger POW Chapter
Oral history interview with Angela M. Russell by Angela M Russell( Recording )

1 edition published in 2019 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

In this oral history interview, Angela Russell, a native of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and resident of Waukesha, Wisconsin, discusses her service as an administrative specialist in the Army from 1990 - 1996, including her time in Germany during the Gulf War, and command of American Legion Post 490
Oral history interview with Mark A. Nagan by Mark Nagan( )

2 editions published in 2001 in English and held by 2 WorldCat member libraries worldwide

Nagan, a Kaukauna, Wis. native, discusses his World War II service as a glider with the 325th Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division and his experiences in the European theater of operation
moreShow More Titles
fewerShow Fewer Titles
Audience Level
Audience Level
  Kids General Special  
Audience level: 0.75 (from 0.56 for The Vietna ... to 0.89 for Wisconsin ...)

Alternative Names

controlled identityWisconsin. Department of Veterans Affairs

Wisconsin. Department of Veterans Affairs. Wisconsin Veterans Museum

Wisconsin. Veterans Museum

English (50)